Fantastic Voyage: SUBMISSION.


2D Animatic:

CG Pre-Vis:







Reflective Statement:

During the course of this project I have found it to be an enlightening learning experience, despite the current COVID-19 situation that had caused slight disruption to learning and led to classes moving to online instead of at the university. With this in mind I found having to work from home to be slightly less practical than having full access to the university resources and contact time with tutors; as I felt that despite having access to the required programs, my computer struggled to compete with the level/standard I was hoping to work to.

That a side, I feel that I have still been able to progress my learning and technical skills within this project. Having it be the second major animation project I have worked on, I found it slightly easier to get my head round and cope with in comparison to the Script To Screen project; as I felt I had more control over what I was producing instead of being given 3 different prompts to combine together and be expected to create a pre-vis from.

Through this project I feel that have learnt the basic starting points in creating a resolved animation, through learning ways to animate my models and setting the scene for the content at hand. However, I found I did struggle a little with trying to animate on my home computer; especially when it came to the fruiting body model as every time I put more than two key frames on the timeline Maya would either crash or freeze. I’m still unsure whether the multiple meshes in the group were too much for Maya to cope with, or that my computer is simply not powerful enough to carry out the operation due to its complex shape the model transition to and from. I found deleting/renaming the prefs sometimes helped speed up Maya, but found even then that didn’t help with the key framing matter either. I also found getting the specific lighting in my scene hard to rectify, as when I tried to add in a light other than a skydome or directional light, I could not get them to show in the render view no matter their exposure/intensity; this probably being another technical issue on my end.

Despite some of the technical hinderances of this project from working at home, I feel that if this was a resolved outcome it would have been effective in getting across the required information to the viewer. Although this project is close to being completed, it would be nice to refine and correctly light the scene and render the animation to get a more professional outcome. In spite of this, I am pleased with what I have been able to create thus far, since I found this project to push my independent learning and the way I manage my time to get the most out what I create.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Lecture Series #3 - Structural Theories & Storytelling + Film Review.

Alien (1979) - Film Review.