Production Bible: Developing Lead Character.

Moving forward with designing my lead mouse character, I looked at forming a style which could be used within the plot of the story. With this I came up with some rough designs (see below -grey) to start basing my ideas off of. Since the mice I drew before looked more life like; I begun trying to stylize my drawings for an animated universe. With this I also tried adding costumes and colour to try and see a direction in which to take my lead mouse. Through this I found the rough sketch were a start point to work from and the coloured designs could be interesting in terms of enforcing dramatic turning points in the storyline (such as when the air raid is happening/ when the mouse is trying to fix a problem.)

From there I then begun experimenting with different forms to try and better grasp my character direction and style, with this I found it hard to envision as I still wanted my character to keep its 'mousey' features, but at the same time be able to convey expressions and moods to the audience. As seen below; highlighted in orange, I felt these sketches were more workable to then develop further in terms of a lead and secondary character. This being since the one on the left could be altered to the lead mouse and the sketches on the right could be used as a younger curious character that my lead mouse comes in contact with.

With the lead character in mind I did a few more sketches to till I found an outcome I was happy to move forward with and develop the body and costume assets (Highlighted orange, see below).

Exploring Body Forms.

Lead Mouse Outcome.

Using the above sketches, I was then able to produce an outcome I was happy with. Trying to use objects of the time to help date the period in which my mouse is exiting in (1940s). To help aid this I used objects my character would have picked up on his travels; this include - a half penny, a old pocket watch hand and sewing pin with a piece of cork on the end. I also looked at dated material for his neckerchief which can be interchanged throughout the story to help show time change through out.


Moving forward I aim to create expression sheets for my lead character, as well as developing a secondary character for my lead to react and respond to with the story plot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Lecture Series #3 - Structural Theories & Storytelling + Film Review.

Alien (1979) - Film Review.