Premise: Environmental Research.

Looking at my proposal ideas I started to think about whether I wanted to do them so that they were going to be 3 separate ideas or as a cohesive set of environments that all have one event in common to link them together.

From this I decided to see how I could link all 3 together; noting how all have a science theme and how I could use this to form a storyline to base the environments off of. So, using the last bullet point from each proposal to form my base concept. I came up with the outline of a rebel/activist group planning to abolish all nuclear power from existence, using ideas from the Duck and Cover era to show an anti-nuclear regime. In addition to this I thought it would be good at add a group of scientist that are striving to protect earths plant life by taking into space where it would then be safe from the rumor's of the rebels planning to attack the power plants and shut the plants down. The story/world would be set years into the future and lack any form of human colonization.


With my environment story outline in place, I began researching more into nuclear history as well as environmental issues that occur in the world. 

Having already researched some nuclear meltdowns such as Chernobyl (reactor meltdown) and Fukushima (caused by an earthquake) it got me thinking of other plant meltdowns that may of happened. Through searching I came across a INES document (see below) that breaks down the scale in which nuclear and radiological incidents are measured. In addition to this I also looked at the effects nuclear power has on the environment and the era of the Atomic Bomb and the Duck and Cover era that followed. 

Premise: Research. by Jasmine Masters


Environment Scenario (work in progress):
In a society where rebels/activists revolt against the use of nuclear power because of its effects on the earth, they try and ‘save’ the earth by shutting down the nuclear plants; only to make the situation worse as the plants aren’t shut down correctly and nuclear reactions occur causing the plants to explode (idea would be a mass attack on plants across the globe). Meanwhile there are a group of scientists that striving to build conservation ship in preparation to leave earth with plant samples to cultivate in space. The story would be set years into the future where the earth has regained its vegetation from the explosions and lack of human colonization – much like Chernobyl is today.


Using this research then continued to sketch out some scenes of what this post nuclear world would look like.

Initial Sketches:



To get more of a direction of where I plan to take these environments, I mapped out to see what I intend to have in each set and how it could be shot since I won't have a character as such in the environment. So it left me thinking of ways I could shoot the environments once complete; either using the camera as a drone or camera as a person. I'm not quite sure which route I will take as of yet but will look to research visual content of both to help inform my decision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Lecture Series #3 - Structural Theories & Storytelling + Film Review.

Alien (1979) - Film Review.