Reflective Statement.


Throughout the Invisible Cities Project, I have found out, developed and broadened my understanding of setting the scene for events that take place; ensuring that the themes within the written extract are conveyed and pushed to the furthest it can go. With this in mind, I tried to illustrate my chosen city – Baucis – in a way that could best show the aesthetics to a unassuming viewer and inform them of what the city is about without having to provide the written text. In this case I went with the idea of “they love it [the earth] as it was before they existed … with spyglasses and telescopes aimed downward they never tire of examining it.” with this as a key focus, I revolved the day-to-day life in Baucis to be around observation of the ground below; creating outposts and viewing stations for in which citizens can go to overlook the land below.



Within this project I found my understanding of perspective to strengthen, however with this there is always room for improvement to ensure that the correct angles and view points aren’t skewed to the viewer. I also found the way in which I digitally paint has broaden as I tend to keep everything very solid within its own shape, although traces of this can be seen in the final concept designs I have tried to be more loose with the pen stokes in the designs. To push this project further I would look into refining details in the architecture so that they don’t appear so flat; this possibly by adding a circuit broad feel to the buildings to give the impression that the city is connected and integrated into a bigger system, this then giving a high-tech advanced society impression to the viewer.



Overall, I found developing what the city may look like and its different functions to be one of the most interesting parts of the concept designing process and it allowed me to experiment with different compositions revolving around one theme – observation of the earth – and see what works and what doesn’t  for a futuristic high-tech society, keeping the humanisation and industrialism above and away from the ground so that it remains “as it was before they [we] existed”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Lecture Series #3 - Structural Theories & Storytelling + Film Review.

Alien (1979) - Film Review.