Production Bible: Character and Set Designs. Plus Further Influences.

To start with I looked at building up a character and scenario for them to follow. To do this I used my research to help structure my Scenario; which consisted of using real time events to cause a chain reaction within the stroyline.

Production Bible 2 by Jasmine Masters


From there I started to think about what a mouse would have in his home to reflect that of what he does on a day to day basis; this included bits and pieces from his day of learning: wire, buttons, watch hands, pocket watch, batteries, fairy lights etc. I also looked at what The Borrowers (1997) used in their set designs to gain further inspiration.






With this mind I started to design some props to fill the mouse's home in the wall and looked at creating a initial concept of the mouse's front door entrance.





With this set design (above) it gives an idea of the sort of space the mouse lives in, but after talking to Justin found this could be improved so that it isn't so obvious that a mouse is living in the wall. This could be achieve by making the door into a crack in the wall; alternatively could transition the space into more of a vertical structure. So the mouse has to walk down into his home to hide the fact that he is living in the wall/floor of the apartment.

In addition to this I looked at conceptualizing the mouse character, but found it hard to transition from real life to a more comic/stylized looking character. However after further discussion with Justin I now have a better idea of where to go now that I have a foundation to work from. This being to start drawing different variations of the head to then work from there since I still want the character to move like a mouse but still possess human mannerisms, like standing up and using it's paws like hands.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Lecture Series #3 - Structural Theories & Storytelling + Film Review.

Alien (1979) - Film Review.